** Recruitment for the Regional Team is open! Complete your application here.**
Are you: Wanting to make new friends? Gain more confidence? Learn new skills and leadership building? Passionate about wellness and wanting to make a difference? Then WAYVE is for you!
WHO: Youth ages 13-19 who live in the Waterloo Region
WHAT: WAYVE is a program FOR YOUTH BY YOUTH that promotes positive mental health and wellness, and educates peers about stigma reduction, resiliency building, positive coping (and more).
WHEN: Weekly on Wednesdays from 7:00 pm – 8:30
WHERE: Your home! WAYVE is running virtually this year.
WHY: To create meaningful change and provide hope.
HOW: Through running fun activities and projects, presentations, social media content, in-school and community events, and so much more.
WAYVE and Black Lives Matter
While WAYVE has changed direction over the years to focus more broadly on mental health, we acknowledge that we cannot separate mental health from justice and equality. The Black Lives Matter movement and fight to end anti-Black racism has deep roots in our program’s history. WAYVE would not exist were it not for the murder of a 20 year old Black man, Howard Joel Munroe, at the hands of a white street gang in 2001. This murder played an important role in our community’s work to end violence, specifically violence targeting Black members of our community.
Today we are reminded of how far we still have to go and continue to engage in critical reflection and work to address the racism embedded in the fabric of our community and our country. Together we can make a difference.
This site will be updated with more resources and information about what you can do but here are a few ways to get started:
- Stop telling and laughing at racist jokes.
- Stop using offensive, harmful, and racist language.
- Call and email people in public offices and local leaders to encourage them to take an active stand against racism.
- Donate your time, energy, resources, or money. Black Lives Matter WR Community Solidarity Fund is just one local group you can find on GoFundMe.
- Demand change.
- Demand justice.
To learn more about white privilege, how to be an ally, and for other resources including great books to read and some videos to watch check out some of these links.
- A Guide to White Privilege
- 10 Examples That Prove White Privilege Exists in Every Aspect Imaginable
- Guide to Allyship
- How You Can Be an Ally in Working Against Anti-Black Racism
- Here’s How White People Can Support The Fight Against Police Brutality
- 31 Children’s Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism and Resistance
- For White People Who Are Asking What Can You Do? (Video)
- If Someone Doesn’t Understand Privilege Show Them This (Video)
- Black Lives Matter WR – Community Solidarity Fund (GoFundMe)
What is WAYVE?
Wellness Acceptance Youth Voices Empowerment (WAYVE) is a mental health awareness group focusing on youth leadership and community building in Waterloo Region. Read more about what we do by clicking on the About WAYVE tab at the top of this page!
Join WAYVE today to start creating meaningful change!
WAYVE used to stand for Working Against Youth Violence Everywhere but it now stands for Wellness Acceptance Youth Voices Empowerment. Read more about our name change on this blog post.
If you are looking for help or resources please visit the get help page.